Sunday, April 15, 2007

RSS Everything !

RSS this, RSS that..

I believe we've come to an age of getting used to having to obtain information at our fingertips, at the instant we want them, no more dilly-dallying when doing so. It gets to the point where I'm overly frustrated each time I can't access a piece of information I need to quickly enough.. So then I discovered RSS, a while back and walla..! No more looking up and foraging the whole pile of old, rusty, left-out-in-the-dark bookmarks! RSS has a fine way of publishing the right information for me, personal links that need to be visited every once in a while, and getting devotional readings has never been easier too! RSS keeps all the information at hand, and just by having an RSS reader, it's almost like you don't need a web browser (for browsing at least..). For a while, I've been using infoRSS (a plugin reader for the Firefox browser), but yesterday I had to uninstall it, because it's giving me a hard time. I can't get the configuration thingy figured out, it's way too complicated.. Nevertheless, I discovered Google Reader, a pretty neat web-based reader (you need to have a Google account to use it though) that's popular with everyone (almost) using RSS. It has cool functions to go with that, like "starring" your favorite RSS topics, just like how you star your favorite messages on Gmail, its interface is very similar to Gmail, so you won't have a hard time figuring out the options, menus, etc. It's worth the try if you're looking for a good, decent, straight-forward RSS reader, or if you haven't used one before. Since then, I've RSSed this, and RSSed that. I practically RSS everything I can get my hands on, to save myself time from opening too many browser tabs, getting lost somewhere and getting nowhere in the end.

So, if you've not used RSS before, why not give it a try. Look for the XML or RSS feed symbol on web pages, as they contain web feeds which can be viewed / read using any RSS reader (hundreds around, the most popular ones are: My Yahoo! and Google Reader, and a bunch of others I can't possibly remember). All you've gotta do is copy that link, and paste it on your RSS reader, or if your browser supports it as an add-on, just right-click on the link, and "Add link to RSS reader" (or other similar commands). There you have it, reading articles on the web has never been easier !

No comments: